Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Lasagna Gardening "After the Fact"





I wanted to see if I could use layered/lasagna techniques in an already-established garden. Last summer I had awful problems with sedge growing in our flower beds along the driveway.

Mother's day weekend I tried out the system...

1. Carefully rake away the mulch surrounding the plants.
2. Lay layers of newspapers down around the plants, leaving as little soil exposed as possible. (wetting the papers as you go makes it easier)
3. Put a layer of peat moss and compost down on top of the paper.
4. Layer leaves and/or grass clippings on top of this.
5. Reapply the mulch to the top.
Voila!

Due to my low leaf supply and an overly helpful toddler, I was only able to finish a third of the driveway bed... and it shows. Where I lasagnaed, no weeds. Where I didn't.... new sedge growth. I better finish the rest ASAP!

I plan on using this technique throughout the garden, especially in the front of the house. The soil there really needs some help.

No comments: